Updated May 18, 2026 — 8:07am,first published 7:09am
Blues coach Laurie Daley has made a raft of changes to his Origin squad, announcing a new-look team on Monday morning that includes the return of veteran fullback James Tedesco and the inclusion of enforcers Victor Radley and Addin Fonua-Blake.
Among the NSW players named to make their Origin debuts against Queensland at Accor Stadium on May 27 are Manly speedster Tolu Koula, Sharks hooker Blayke Brailey, Canberra playmaker Ethan Strange and Penrith centre Casey McLean.
“With new faces comes new energy. I think all of these players have deserved their positions. When you look at Tolu, his speed is such an advantage to have at Origin level,” Daley said on Monday morning.
“Addin, over the last couple of weeks, has done really well. He’s a guy that carries the ball forward really well, and for me, he’s just suited for Origin.
“Then you go down to the bench, you’ve got guys like Victor Radley. I think for a long period of time people thought just his style and physicality was suited to Origin football.
“Blayke Brailey has been in good form for the Sharks for a number of years, Ethan Strange went away and played for Australia last year and was very impressive through the finals series.”
Radley and Fonua-Blake have benefited from new eligibility rules that permit players from tier-one nations – such as England and New Zealand – to play Origin football, provided they meet the existing selection criteria.
Meanwhile, Daley said the selection of McLean on the bench was based on his form this season.
“Young Casey McLean over the last 18 months has really come along as a young player, young man, played international football, and [he’s] someone we think very highly of, so there’s a lot to be excited about if you’re a NSW supporter.
Tedesco beat out Penrith fullback Dylan Edwards for the No.1 jersey – a decision based on how Daley wants his team to play in game one.
“It’s always a tough position to be in when you’ve got two outstanding players playing so well, and there wasn’t much between them,” Daley said.
“Teddy has been there before, Dylan has done nothing wrong, it’s more about the style of football that we want to play, and what we think is best suited for us in game one.”
The in-form Sea Eagles will have two players featuring in the Blues squad, with Koula and Haumole Olakau’atu in Daley’s starting 17, while Reece Robson and Isaah Yeo were among the NSW players to retain their jerseys from the 2025 series.
Cameron Murray will return to the Origin arena after missing the 2025 series with an Achilles injury. Spencer Leniu, Connor Watson and Angus Crichton are among the players to lose their Origin jerseys.
There were no surprises when it came to the Blues halves combination, with Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses again named.
“Both being halfbacks, they both command the football, and I think when you’ve got two halves that like to get their hands on the ball, you can spread the workload,” Daley said.
“They’ll get a fair amount of touches each, they both possess good kicking games, so it gives us plenty of options – in particular in attack. They can link up together, which is really good, and I know that Mitch loves to run the football.”
More to come.
Billie Eder is a sports reporter at The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via X or email.




















